Simplicity Linux 13.10: The journey starts here

So, we released Simplicity Linux 13.7 yesterday, which means today the work on Simplicity 13.10 starts in earnest.  We’ve made rough base image using Slacko 5.5.71 and LXPup by SFS.  We also tweaked the UI fonts and look quite a lot, replaced Firefox 17 ESR with Firefox Aurora 24 and made a few changes to Firefox’s UI too.  Nothing too major or drastic, but enough to make it now look less like a Fisher Price Linux and something more professional.

screenshot2

There is still a lot of work to do on it to make it the Linux distro we want it to be.  But this is a start.  And for those wondering, no, the base image won’t be released.  However, you’ve got just over a month to wait until we release the Alpha.

11 Responses to “Simplicity Linux 13.10: The journey starts here”

1. inoxidabile says:

Hi, it seems very interesting.
    I’m downloading it for test, but I would have just a couple of answer:
    – what about the Subdivision version?
    – as far as I know, LXPup has been developer by Jejy69, as in Puppy Forum, but I didn’t find a reference to him or his thread there.
    Thanks for Your job about this Linux distro.

Thanks for the comment. I do try to credit the LXPup team where I can. I don’t link to their page on the forums because I have seen Puppy Forum pages just vanish and links die. But a quick Google search of LXPup takes you to their official site.

2. nancy reagan says:

This link is to the forum topic from the original dev

Why not share your paypal revenue with the original developers at murgalinux.com/puppy ?

I don’t get much revenue at all. In our history, I think we have had 3 donations. And if I did get revenue, I would share it with the developers of whichever Pup I used.

3. SIMPLE GUY says:

I just gave the OS a spin. So far I like it a lot.

Question; Is there a chance you will include VirtualBox at some point?

Funny you should mention that,we’re doing some stuff with virtualbox right now. Will probably be a part of simplicity x rather than our main distro as it is kinda big.

• Simple Guy says:

I always thought, as an optional package, VirtualBox would be a natural for a small footprint OS. Nice to see someone looking at it.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Simplicity 13.10 comes with Quickpet, so you can install VirtualBox from there, but we’re looking at pre-installing it on Simplicity 13.10 X – our experimental release.

4. Nashawn says:

only down side, can’t play windows based games in linux, now! if they get rid of this diatvdanasge, they would make a daring case for windows.well not only with windows based game’s but also windows based software, im not saying linux should go windows, just sayin, what if the could somehow get this windows based stuf to work on there system

If you look in the package manager for a program called Wine, you can run quite a lot of Windows software on Linux. Hope that helps!