Simplicity Linux 14.4 is now available!

Simplicity Linux 14.4 is now available for download.  It is based on the excellent Slacko Puppy 5.6.5, and uses LXDE as a desktop environment.  There are three different versions this release cycle: Netbook, Desktop and X.

Netbook 14.4 is designed to be fast and light, for people who just want an OS, a browser, and not much else.  It comes with Chrome as the default browser (Firefox is available  in the package manager) and on the fully customisable dock you can also access mplayer for playing media files (VLC is available in the package manager).  It is 246.2mb and can be downloaded from here.

Desktop 14.4 is designed to be a more heavyweight Linux.  It also uses the LXDE desktop environment, and comes preinstalled with Dropbox, Chrome, Skype, LibreOffice, Thunderbird, and a more refined audio mixer.  All these applications are available from the dock, making access easy.  More applications are available via the application finder, and a large range of applications can be installed from the package manager.  It also includes a range of (in our opinion) beautiful wallpapers which can be found in the Wallpaper directory.  It is  562.8mb and can be downloaded from here.

X 14.4 is our experimental release.  It uses KDE, and comes with Chrome, LibreOffice, Skype, Dropbox, and several other applications.  X is not designed for day to day use, it is an experiment to see what can be done with Puppy Linux and if we can take things from this to use in our standard releases.  After careful consideration, we decided not to move X from it’s beta form, as whilst there are a few issues (shutdown, icon problems) we think X still performs well.  It is 672.4mb and can be downloaded from here.

We hope you enjoy using Simplicity Linux 14.4, and for the die hard, bleeding edge users, in a month or so, you can expect to see Simplicity 14.7 Alpha!

56 Responses to “Simplicity Linux 14.4 is now available!”

1. thanks David, i use the netbook edition for my old laptop :)

We do too! Netbook powers about 3 6-7 year old netbooks and laptops around our “lab”. Thanks for the comments and support.

2. walter says:

Maybe I’m totally newbie, but i didn’t find Puppy Installer no in Netbook nor Desktop release. And there is no Skype in Desktop version, and i can’t find it using PPM.

The puppy installer should be available via the application finder menu, and if Skype isn’t in Desktop, that’s an oversight on our part. To get it working, download Skype from their site and install QT from the package manager. Hope that helps! Thank you for taking the time to comment.

• stew says:

I’ve always liked what you do with this distro. Keep ’em coming please :)

1/ I also am unable to find the installer on 14.4 (downloaded yesterday on the 19th).

2/ Is virtualbox not on your radar anymore? I always thought that was a great idea on a puppy based distro.

Thank you so much for the comments, it’s comments like this which fuel us to churn out the releases! The installer problem is a bit of a mystery we are going to look into. As for virtualbox, we’re hoping that we can get something working on 14.7. We like it, and use it, but it’s a bit of a complex beast to get right!

• stew says:

he he. I just realized your replies are kind of like fortune cookies – always upbeat and positive, and yes, that’s a compliment, not sarcasm.

No worries on the installer. I’ll boot from USB until things are straightened out. Good Luck.

• jiminid says:

Where’s the installer for desktop 14.4? not in the menu anywhere.looked under application finder as well and no joy. Very odd. please advise.

• Stef says:

I’ve got the same problem: Puppy Installer isn’t where it’s supposed to be and I can’t find it and can’t download it from anywhere.
        Some help, please? :)

3. […] Read the rest here:  Simplicity Linux 14.4 is now available! – […]

4. Kafshiel says:

Thanks for this update. I was already using 14.1 alongside Puppy Precise 5.7.1. I love Simplicity! Plus it’s much more beautiful than Puppy. Also I like the power of the LXDE desktop, which is still super light for older systems and practically flies in modern ones. Great job guys! Simplicity is my distro in a pocket.

5. Kafshiel says:

I only have a request: could you please put the MD5 checksums here in this site? They’re not at Sourceforge and I would really like to have the MD5 available because I always check it before making my flash drives. Thanks in advance.

6. Justinian says:

Guess that some of us will have to make do with 14.1 and hope that the repos of X 14.7 will permit the addition of modern Firefox and VLC.

• Justinian says:

Successfully tested Netbook 14.4 live on Centrino laptop. Still counting on X 14.7 to be the worthy upgrade.

7. […] Netbook, Desktop ? X???????release announcement […]

8. hottyson says:

What does “a more refined audio mixer” mean?

Which audio mixer comes with 14.4 desktop? with 14.4 netbook?

Thank you.

9. Zeb says:

The new 14.4 looks interesting. I again would remove Dropbox, Skype and Chrome – add Firefox and VLC. Yup, and some folks want it the other way around. Just extra bandwidth and jumping around afterwards. I like that the ISO still fits a CD and that this runs on older hardware, which I have several of.

We’re working on being able to please everyone, but it’s important to us that Desktop should fit on a CD. Thanks for the comment, and we hope you enjoy 14.4!

10. RoseHosting says:

Congrats on the new release!

11. Shane O'Neal says:

I accidentally downloaded the experimental release last night. Was marvelouslly confused when I booted into KDE, this morning. Have to say, though… the RAM usage in that KDE session is quite low. Almost made me want to stick with it for a while.

Glad you liked using KDE! We might keep it, but we have a few directions that X 14.7 may go in. Like Virtualbox, KDE is a complex beast to get right, and we weren’t 100% happy with how KDE worked out for us.

12. […] these applications are available from the dock, making access easy.” Read the rest of the release announcement for more information.Download […]

13. Themoman says:

What happened to the Cocoon proxy? I was using it on Firefox but it no longer works and it doesn’t appear to be available in the latest release?

We’re not sure what happened to Cocoon Proxy. We used it too, and enjoyed using it. Also, we changed from Firefox to Chrome because we don’t like what Mozilla are doing at the moment, and Cocoon only provide support for Chrome on Mac.

14. Joseph Barr says:

Hi Folks:
    I would like to congratulate you on keeping the “Puppy” alive and kicking. I have one query ,is the install proceure the same as ,say Ubuntu ,Mint etc. or as convoluted as the original Puplets

Same convoluted process, I’m afraid. This is why we run it from a USB key. However, keep an eye on X 14.7 Alpha coming out in May…

15. Dan says:

I appreciate your hard work on Simplicity Linux! To make sure I got the download correctly, would it be possible to include the md5 sum for future releases? Thank you!

The MD5 sum is available on the Sourceforge page, just go to the files, then click the blue i in a circle, it will give you checksums. Thank you for the comment.

16. Vibhu Sogi says:

i’m new to linux, just wanted to know if we can install .deb applications in simlicity 14.4 netbook, if yes please tell how. Thanks.

Yes you can install .debs in Simplicity 14.4. Just double click them and they should install. The only problem is that it won’t check for dependencies. If that fails, using the petget command should deal with it. Thanks for the comment.

17. Stef says:

Hi! I’m new to this OS, i’m trying it for a few days and I’m really satisfied. But I can’t understand how to install it on the hard disk! I understand the usefullness of having an OS on a USB drive, but I just don’t need it that way, so I tried and tried… but I could’t managed how to do it. I can’t find the Puppy Universal Installer (like the user walter in the second comment on this post): it’s not where it’s supposed to be and I can’t find in the applications or in repositories (I’m using the desktop version of 14.4).
    Please help, because I really like it and it would be really a pity if I will not be able to use Simplicity directly on my laptop.
    Thanks in advance and greetings from Italy!

18. Tony says:

Great OS. Stumbled across it this weekend and loved the fact that chrome was the default browser. Also loved the simplicity of connecting to the net. Coming from puppy precise that is. (Not that either is hard, but netbook 14.4 was smooth. Would like to see the ability to hide the password when connecting to wifi, the color of the clock change as oppose to black or grey, would also like the installer added to netbook, burniso app like puppy precise, and the ability to be able to remaster the cd or make a live cd from within the OS like puppy precise. When showing it off to others, it would be nice to be able to give them what I have as well. And one last thing, to be able to install xbmc if poss and save the settings after customizing it for future use.

What you guys have here is really amazing and I especially love the look and feel. Very nice and clean. Looks very professional. Perhaps if you could include a manual for the diff version on the site would be very helpful.

One feature that I was interested in was the ability to password protect or secure the machine like say with windows or something. The ability to lock and unlock it from others if possible would be greatly appreciated.

Apart from all of that … Lol. Keep up the amazing work. It is truly a great work of Art.

Wow! Thank you for the comments! They are hugely appriciated. It’s the comments like this which fuel us to keep working on Simplicity as we know what we’re doing is working for other people, not just us hardcore geeks!

19. Dianne says:

Simplicity 14.4 a lovely edition. Thank you for posting it. I’m missing the System Set Up link to the built-in CUPS Printer setup, but found CUPS in the Desktop version by typing localhost:631 into the browser address window. I couldn’t find CUPS at all in the Netbook version, though. CUPS worked beautifully in Netbook version 14.1. Any suggestions as to how to install CUPS in Netbook version 14.4? Are you planning to drop printing from the Netbook versions in the future?

We’re not planning to drop CUPS at all, it was just a small oversight by us! Sorry! Have you tried using the app finder in the dock bar to find CUPS? Hope that helps!

20. Paul Magarey says:

I really love this installation. I too am interested in how to install to hard drive. However, I downloaded the desktop and can’t find skype pre-installed and when I tried to download it from the package manager, it all looked promising, but told me a missing dependency was xfce. I’ve downloaded a stash of xfce related files, but none of them seems to be the right one. And I can’t find skype through the applications penguin. Any help would be appreciated.

21. PhilO says:

I’m a newbie to Linux looking for a petget for Netflix or some other alternatives. I’ve found that pipelite is available in the slackware depositary but I’m unable to follow the directions at Pathetic I know but I really need step-by-step direction that this old guys (me) brain can understand. thx

We’re working on trying to get Pipelite working with Simplicity. We’ve had a few attempts but nothing has worked so far, but we’re confident we can pull it off. Watch this space.

22. cantor says:

Great work by David Purse & his team. I am newbie user of Linux & now using Simplicity netbook 14.4 in dual boot with WinXP (dead tree with lots of ads, popups, viruses eating its remains). I also use Wine with Simplicity Linux which is working great. I have yet to learn a lot more about it. Before this I was using Linux Mint 15 which is too big and i replaced Mint also with Simplicity. However, at times i am stuck with no solution other than reboot.

I found it several times that it has some problem with external devices. too often I can not read / write from USB flash stick. Can you advise how to overcome this.

Simplicity is amazingly fast and has resurrected my 2 old laptops which were stuff for garbage bins untill I came across your release announcement.

23. Paul Magarey says:

Well, skype seems to now have installed itself, except that I can’t be heard very well and the camera is not recognised. Also, I don’t seem to be able to increase the volume using the buttons on the top right of the screen.

There are more volume controls if you right click the volume at the top right and click full screen. Hope that helps!

24. Heno says:

I’m kinda new to linux, but i would like to ask something about the installation. I just want to install the OS for demo and my friends said you can just save it to your flash drive and let run there so how do i do it?

It’s really easy to install onto a USB drive. Just download Unetbootin and the Simplicity ISO, then use Unetbootin to copy it onto the USB drive. Hope that helps.

• Fabulus says:

Is it possible to install Simplicity Linux 14.4 on an hard drive?

Of course! You can install it using Puppy Universal Installer from the App Finder on the dock, or you can type /usr/sbin/puppyinstaller into the terminal to run the Universal Installer. Hope that helps!

• zahar says:

sorry, i’m pretty new linux user the installer required one of 3 files:
            vmlinuz, initrd.gz or puppy_slacko…

i can’t find them on my USB.
            i’m using bootable usb wit minimal distro.

• zahar says:

never-mind – found it :)

Glad everything is going okay for you!

25. Zahar says:

Hi again :) – I just trying to use simplicity linux on my old netbook.
    I was successfully run it from the usb drive but want to use it from the hard disk.
    I have deleted all partitions on disk and created a new one of ext2 type and marked it as boot.
    I was able to run puppy universal installer and if finished successfully (i used “full” option)
    But after restart I’m getting errors:can’t fidn grldr on all drives.
    Any suggestions ? Thanks you

Hmmm…that is a very odd error. I haven’t heard of that before so I’m afraid I can’t help :-( I would suggest googling it and seeing if anyone else can help. Sorry!