Simplicity Linux 14.7 is now available free to everyone!

First of all to everyone who donated $1 or more to Simplicity Linux during our Early Access programme, thank you!  You are all very awesome.

And now for our releases.  Simplicity Linux 14.7 is now available for everyone to download for free.

Obsidian 14.7: 187.8mb (MD5:ec4e875d0cc41baddb52004dde0a8ed7)
Obsidian is our cut down version, pretty  much just Firefox 30, a network manager and not a lot else.  If you just use your computer to browse the Internet and not a lot else, Obsidian is great.

Netbook 14.7: 403.3mb (MD5:75187e8f7d8eafc85642e25c5e3c021a)
Netbook is our lightweight edition of Simplicity Linux.  It has a few local apps, but most of the hard work is done by cloud based apps.  It also features an assistant called Kai Says, which is a little like Siri.

Desktop 14.7: 687.9mb (MD5:cdc4d60a3a6c5cbfffa5b87d65efaf39)
Desktop is our heavyweight release.  It features OpenOffice, Skype, Dropbox, and a lot of other software.  If you do more with your operating system, this is the release for you.

Subdivision 14.7: 721.4mb (MD5:27de8c5987a70c99f99358f9c4cbac40)
If you’re used to using Windows but it annoys you, Subdivision is designed for you.  It comes with OpenOffice, Firefox, Java, Flash, and a Minecraft installer, so you can begin playing familiar games on Linux straight out the box.

We had a lot of fun working on these releases, and we hope you enjoy using them.  And of course, if you really, really liked it, please consider donating!

49 Responses to “Simplicity Linux 14.7 is now available free to everyone!”

1. Tony says:

None of the download links appear to be working. They all lead to the following page:

Not sure if you guys are aware of it.

In saying that, excited and patiently awaiting the final version.

The download links are fixed, and I’m not sure what’s wrong with the download sizes. The file sizes are the ones Sourceforge are giving me, but I was relatively sure they were wrong too. The downloads should be fine though, I checked the MD5sums. Hope everything goes well for you!

2. Tony says:

The download sizes don’t seem to be correct as well.

I am getting the following sizes:
    Desktop 656MB (suppose to be 687.9)
    Subdivision 688MB (suppose to be 721.4)
    Netbook 385MB (suppose to be 403.3)
    Obsidian 179MB (suppose to be 187.8)

3. […] so you can begin playing familiar games on Linux straight out the box.” Here is the brief release announcement. Download […]

4. […] içerdi?ini ifade etti. Simplicity Linux 14.7 hakk?nda ayr?nt?l? bilgi edinmek için sürüm duyurusunu […]

5. Flavio says:

Which Office suite is provided with the desktop/subdivision release? here you say it’s openoffice, but distrowatch state it’s Libreoffice.

6. cantor says:

Using Obsidian147, downloaded & installed all “wine” packages with Puppy Package Manager, but can not run an .exe file. NetbookBeta was running it before. I am newbie to Linux & want to get rid of Windows. Can you include “wine” in all Simplicity distros. Can you help on this how to do it now. I really like this small & beautiful thing. Regards,

Obsidian doesn’t include WINE because it’s designed to be as cut down and compact as possible. Netbook and Obsidian won’t feature WINE for this reason. Hope that clarifies things!

• Cantor says:

Thanx for reply. Wine is working on Netbook147. I installed Wine from Package Manager & when I installed .exe app, a popup asked to browse for applicable package (Wine was there pre-installed). It’s running Windows OS dependent program 100 times faster than Windows OS. With little fix you can make Obsidian also similar Wine-yard, as I have run .exe on it once but no re-run. Anyway. thank you again for this great work. Regards,

Glad WINE worked for you from the repos. And glad your Windows program ran faster on Simplicity compared to Windows! That is something we are always pleased to hear!

7. pavroo says:

I’d like to test it, but…
    I can’t run it from ‘dd’ USB, not in Virtualbox, not even in Qemu.
    Is this normal?
    It’s not the first Linux distro in my live so I’m a little surprised.

We’ve had no problems using unetbootin to run Simplicity from a USB key. I have no experience using dd, so I can’t comment on that, sorry.

• pavroo says:

Thank’s for your replay.
        I just can confirm that I could run it from USB after copping by Unetbootin only.
        Anyway still can’t run it in qemu and virtualbox. Only VMware Player have run it fine.

8. w0rm says:

Thanks for sharing!

9. Jayesh says:

Previous version may be 14.4 & 14.7 all have downloading problem.It breaks in half way.To day 5 times tried but it was break at different %.Why do not put torrent also.

That’s odd, Sourceforge downloads are normally pretty reliable. As for Torrents, we’ve thought about them, and posted links to unofficial Torrents in the past, but they’re not something we’re really interested in pursuing. Sorry!

10. cantor says:

Obsidian147____I tried menu > utility > Uninstall Wine package. This listed my .exe on drive_c/subdir. Thus I could install & run this first time. But it did not make any “shortcut” icon for rerun of my app. I tried to run .exe file created by first .exe from Wine’s drive_c/subdir, but it does not run second time. NetbookBeta did all “wine” things automatically. I am not a geek & learning Linux. I prefer Simplicity over big sized Mint/Ubuntu etc, Love your concepts of high speed, small, & beautiful using almost / nearly a pinch of computer resources. All else is really great in this. Just include “Wine” as an integrated part of all your distros, to run apps designed for Windows OS which takes forever to start & forever to shutdown which is so annoying. Regards..

11. Justinian says:

Glad to report that Subdivision is functional as a live disc on a Pentium M laptop. Firefox 30 and VLC 2.0.8 are some of its best features. Feels more responsive than 14.1.

12. Steve says:

Can’t get either Desktop147Release-2.iso or Subdivision147-2.iso to work on my 2005 Dell Inspiron 2200 (with Celeron M). Puppy 5.7.1 boot fails with an error:

‘This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU:
    Unable to boot – please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.’

…why is pae needed? Is this system really going to address RAM over 4G?

about pau, saying get a kernel appropriate for your CPU :(

Simplicity doesn’t need more than 4gb RAM to run, but a lot of machines these days have more than that. But we’re hopefully fixing this problem in Simplicity 14.10. The alpha will be out at the end of the month if you want to try it.

13. Junior says:

Hello, good evening!
    I downloaded and am using Simplicity Subdivision 14.7, well I was surprised to start with a quick boot, but face a little problem, the desktop does not appear immediately, it shows the wallpaper EOQ should be abarra task, only without no buttons or icons in the background, IESSA said bar disappears in seconds leaving only the wallpaper, so far, all it took was one click and voila desktop will appear as it should, but it happens ttoda since beginning the system, and I I would like your help to guide me how can I leave her visible logo to appear the background, and I’m more lay user, I was using the puppy version 5.7.1 need smoothly, ah one more thing I also like is you know, a langpack_pt for this version of puppy because the existing version of langpack_pt does not work with this theme of windows xp, since there will appreciate attention and congratulations for the job, I enjoyed out these minor setbacks.

Congratulations for the work.

14. Justinian says:

I made the mistake of booting the newly burned Desktop 14.7 disc on a Llano PC but went through it to see what happens. Like every Debian build I’ve tried on it, the graphics eventually stopped working. Wonder why the A4-3420 test rig of Distrowatch loads these without problems.
    This was actually intended for a Centrino Pentium M laptop and everything on LXDE Desktop turned out to be as fluid as Subdivision live was. Now, which one is going to replace Simplicity 14.1 on it?

15. Steve says:

Downloaded and booted Simplicity Subdivision 14.7 from a usb stick, was very surprised at what you’ve done with this.

Love it apart from it randomly freezes my entire machine 100% even keyboard and mouse, I lose all input, not even REISUB works as there is no input, the screen simply freezes and mouses cursor, keyboard etc.. Hitting reset is the only way out of it.

Should mention that the 3 times this has happened Minecraft has been open, both in game and on the start screen before you even launch a game.

That is really odd. What machine are you using when this happens? We’d love to try and help out with this problem if we can.

• Steve says:

Quad core AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3.4Ghz with a Radeon 7790 OC with a AsRock Extreme Pro 3 mobo & Corsair Vengence 8GB of DDR3 @ 1800mhz..

I have a 4 year old acer laptop I can try the same usb stick on and see how that goes.. it’s running a Dual core & Nvidia graphics so I’ll post again if there’s any issues when I test it out on that later tonight..

16. RoseHosting says:

Congrats on the release!

17. Joe says:

DistroWatch says LXDE is the default desktop environment.
    Sourceforge says Xfce is the default desktop environment.

The Sourceforge description is out of date. Sorry about that! We use LXDE but with some XFCE components.

18. Pedro Domínguez says:

Hi there.
    I downloaded the Desktop 14.7 version and am running via VirtualBox, but I could not know how it is to install on the hard disk. They could tell me how to install it on the hard disk?
    Thanks to everyone involved in this project!. (Sorry for my bad English)

If you want to install it you can either look for Puppy Universal Installer in the application finder or just type puppyinstaller into the terminal. Hope this helps.

19. Steve says:

Seen this on youtube, it’s the Subdivision version I believe.

20. N says:

Hello I really love Simplicity! I have spent the last few days tweaking it around to my liking, in a usb. There is one thing that has slumped, however: dropbox. Every time I boot I have to re-enter my email and password, which I find to be a great annoyance. Is there a way to fix it or is there some sort of work around? I am out of ideas and the stuff I found at the puppy linux forums don’t work with this one. Even putting my .dropbox out in my /mnt/home doesn’t work. It’s like everytime I reboot it tells itself to erase all of my logging data, I can actually see how files host.db and info.json disappear the moment I open dropbox after a boot, for example. The older versions of dropbox pets don’t work anymore either because dropbox doesn’t let you log in with them anymore.

If there is no workaround, can it be installed through wine or something? I tried but got an error there too: ” Class does not exist. Could not load python.dll”

21. Tony says:

I have been running subdivision and desktop 14.7 from both USB and disk, however every time I pull the USB or disk out while running it, the system freezes or stops working. All the other version of simplicity that I use allow me to remove the USB or disk, after it is fully booted up. Is there a way to make it that way for the 14.7 versions (where I can pull out the USB or disk)? Also is there a way to install these versions of simplicity linux from within windows like an .exe along side windows? Making it a dual boot machine type thing. Then if not interested in the future, uninstall it just like you would any other windows program? (Think that might be a great idea)

Love your simplicity linux and use it all the time. Hate using windows and hoping that all that I need to do can be completed using linux going fwd.

Keep up the amazing work.

• Simplicity says:

We’ve been looking into the installing Simplicity as a Windows .exe for a while now, and it will possibly ship with X 14.10, to see how it works out. Glad you’re enjoying Simplicity Linux and I hope you can get everything done with Linux going forward too!

22. Tony says:

23. Tim says:

When I try to boot from my usb drive I get a Keyboard Error and can’t boot. Any thoughts?

That is an odd one and I can’t say I’ve ever encountered it, but if you give me a few more details maybe we can work it out for you and get you up and running!

24. I love this! I will be using it for a while. REALLY LIKE!
    Taiwan. Simple, web browsing, go to OS when using someones computer, or an old machine. Love it.