Simplicity Linux 15.7 Beta is now available

Simplicity Linux 15.7 Beta is now available to download.  It is based on the fantastic LXPup and uses LXDE as its desktop.  All versions come with the 4.0.2 kernel and as usual Simplicity is split into two editions, Netbook and Desktop.  There is no 64 bit version of Desktop, because we had some issues, but this will be resolved for the release edition.  It should also be noted that these are beta releases, so some things may change, be removed, and other things may be added.  It’s a stable, working version, but still unfinished and rough around the edges.

Netbook Edition is our cut down version which features mostly cloud based apps.  It is available in 32 and 64 bit editions.
32 Bit Edition
MD5:7859c4757a22fabf97181054185991a0
Size:350.6mb

64 Bit Edition
MD5: 3cb6bd3b5f61b27fe0e5adb245541256
Size: 408.0mb

Desktop is our more fully featured edition and comes with Chrome, LibreOffice, VLC, Thunderbird, Spotify, and more.
32 Bit Edition
MD5: fdc7562637be0479a251aada1276e08a
Size: 596.9mb

Simplicity 15.7 will be available as a release edition at the end of July.

15 Responses to “Simplicity Linux 15.7 Beta is now available”

1. Ray De Long says:

netflix does not work past the browser…….it failed every time I tried to run a video!

2. Fred P. says:

I just found out about Simplicity through Distrowatch. I’ve been tinkering lately, trying to revive some old hardware (Asus EeePC 900A) and from running Simplicity from the USB stick, it looks like just the thing!

The original eeebuntu was discontinued and a few months ago I found Puppy Linux, which installed and runs, but it too, has been discontinued, and I’m not a fan of the GUI in any event.

The beta runs everything I’ve tried (admittedly, I just started it a couple of hours ago). It found my wi-fi card and connected to my network seamlessly. The Chrome browser functions as expected, and the setup programs and utilities are attractive and understandable.

All that’s missing that I can tell is the “Help” feature. There’s a menu item, but it does nothing. I was looking for a way to set the screen blanking value, and couldn’t find it. I confess that it’s been years since I rolled up my sleeves and got my fingers dirty with Unix (er, Linux. Unix was my old environment). I use Macs a lot, so I think that’s a major reason I like Simplicity’s GUI. 🙂

So, I just wanted to post and say “thank you.” When 15.7 final is released, I will no doubt be installing it on my EeePC.

3. Justinian says:

15.7 Beta 32 loaded in no time using a flash stick on the Centrino laptop that currently has 15.4. Other than the previously reported Soundmax issue, all else worked. Wireless, touchpad, Libre Writer, browser, VLC Rincewind. Package manager has Firefox 38. Thumbs up on desktop effects. Keeps getting better!

4. luke lee says:

Nice and fast but internet connection is not working…

5. Pak'e Maryam says:

Testing this release on 2 Axioo laptops, doesn’t work either. It shows kernel error.
    Rolling back to the previous stable version

6. cantor says:

If 64-bit Desktop would be able to boot UEFI machine, that would be great…Fatdog64-701 does it but it fails on sound cards & saved session.

7. cantor says:

I tried to boot UEFI laptop (Windows 8) from Netbook157Beta64 on bootable usb…it gives error: puppy_lxp64_14_12.sfs not found…which is very much there…

8. Fred P. says:

So… a couple of observations and questions (this is a beta, after all…).

After running the package manager I found the trash can icon on the desktop was “full.” However, every attempt I’ve made to empty the trash fails with an error. Looking into the trash, it seems to be a copy/clone of the root directory. In the terminal, if I ‘cd .Trash,’ the directory is empty. Hmmm.

I also added an extension to Chrome and was informed I wasn’t using the latest release. Is this Chrome, or Chromium? I can’t find Chrome in the package manager, but Chromium and Firefox both seem to be there. Now, the extension is “stuck” and causing my browser to become unresponsive and my system usage spikes. I have to ‘killall chrome’ in terminal to restore things back.

Still, I like that Simplicity installs everything onto my 4Gb SSD (I played with PeppermintOS, but even though it claims the 32-bit version requires only 3Gb, I found the installer failing and updates failing, even though I partitioned both my SSD and a 4 Gb SDHC to accommodate it.

Keep up the good work. I’m looking forward to using this as my OS on this cheap, old, crummy EeePC. 🙂

9. maya says:

I have tested simplicity linux and satisfied. I shall use it after final version released. Wish you all the best. BTW it takes long time to save first session. PLS check it.

Glad you liked it. The first session always takes a while to save due to the creation of a save file. Hope that helps.

10. user says:

its not working for me either. I get puppy_lxp64_14_12.sfs not found…when trying to boot from a live usb

We know about the issue with the 64 bit Simplicity releases. We are working on fixing it. Hope that helps out a little.